Monday, March 8, 2010

Bewitched

So after an extensive Borderlands addiction finally started to subside yesterday I began a flirtatious little fling with The Witcher.

Borderlands was an odd experience. I began feeling pretty lukewarm about it, and then lost interest in it completely for a while. But then, needing something fairly mindless to play while I listened to podcasts, I cracked into it again and it got it's hooks very deeply into me. I finished the main quest, downloaded all the interesting DLC (read: the two packs without Moxxi in the title), and burned through those, devouring every scrap of gameplay I could extract from them. Then I started a second playthrough, which is something I almost never do. On top of that, I have two other characters I play exclusively with my friends, both of which are now around level 30. This is a rare enough phenomenon with me that it's almost unique in my video-gaming history.

But finally yesterday I started to crave it less, and leapt on the opportunity to sample The Witcher, a game I've been interested in for some time but never committed to actually installing and playing.

First impressions are good, I like the deep customization, and the combat system is just novel enough to be interesting. I don't know if it'll stick (I picked up a ham sandwich today, alongside several other food items, and when my inventory started to look crowded I experienced a certain nervousness about the game's longevity) but it's amusing, and delightfully German. And I need a little more deutsch in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment